DoDEA Education – Is It Enough?
When you’re a military parent, the state of readiness demanded by military life can often lead to concerns about the continuity of your child’s education. After all, even outside the military, the quality of education in public schools varies widely by location. Add to that the idea that in the middle of their formative years, your children could be asked to attend school in a different country, and any parent would find it natural to wonder how their children’s education will be affected by the constant shift from one station to the next. Fortunately, the DoD Education system boasts some of the finest schools in the country, if not the world. The following DoDEA schools appear on the “top 50” lists for their respective grade levels.
Top 5 DoDEA Schools
- Aukamm Elementary. Number one on our list is Aukamm Elementary school at Wiesbaden Air Base, Germany. Here, students encounter top quality education in all of the core subjects, plus a healthy dose of arts, P.E., world language, and technology instruction. With just around 250 students, this school won the 2014 Blue Ribbon Award for Exemplary High Performing School, and bestschools.com lists it as the top American elementary school overall.
- Crawford Elementary. In the frozen north of Fairbanks, Alaska lies Eielson AFB, and the number two school on our list, Crawford Elementary. Crawford is number two on our list of DoDEA schools because bestschools.com places it as the tenth best American elementary school overall. In addition to winning the 2014 Blue Ribbon Award for Exemplary High Performing School, Crawford is also ranked number one out of 116 other five-star-rated schools on schooldigger.com.
- Matthew C. Perry Elementary. Iwakuni Japan is home to M.C. Perry Elementary, which is part of a Marine Corps Air Base there. The school sits at number 28 in the bestschools.com list and is also a 2014 Blue Ribbon Award/Exemplary High Performing School recipient. The school is an great example of innovation in education, with community support, agricultural classroom learning, and a host of volunteers and highly trained educators ensuring the students there are ready to lead the 21st century.
- Dover Air Force Base Middle. The first middle school on our countdown comes in at number 35 on bestschool.com’s list of the best middle schools in the U.S. schooldigger.com rates it as the #3 middle school in the country, and the students at Dover AFB Middle have earned themselves an “A” rating from the Delaware Department of Education. They also have an outstanding reputation for athletics.
- Holloman Middle. Rounding out our top five is another middle school. Holloman Middle school, on Holloman Air Force Base, New Mexico, ranks number 46 on the bestschools.com list of best middle schools in the country, and was a 2013 Blue Ribbon Award winner. They were also given an “A” rating by their state’s department of education.
DoDEA Schools – A Cut Above
The fact that DoDEA schools make up 20% of a list of 100 total top schools should be encouraging to military parents who are worried about their children’s education. Chances are, no matter where you’re stationed, if your son or daughter is enrolled in a DoDEA school, they’ll receive top quality education that is focused on preparing them to lead the world of tomorrow.